Colorado State University – Good Neighbor Program
What is the Good Neighbor Program?
The Good Neighbor Program is a project developed by the Off-Campus Life Office of Colorado State University in partnership with the City of Fort Collins, Colorado State University, and individual property management groups. The program serves to provide more education to CSU students in the housing process, provide accountability for equitable and fair leasing practices, and facilitate communication between property managers and their tenants.
Good Neighbor Program Participants 2022/23
The Good Neighbor Program is currently accepting applications for participants for 2022/23. Please fill out the form below to receive an application!
Please note that properties that are not listed as Good Neighbor properties may in fact meet all set forth standards and criteria, but choose not to participate in this program.
Standards and Criteria
All Good Neighbor Program participants agree to uphold set forth standards and criteria. These standards and criteria include:
- Promote a healthy living environment through community awareness, responsibility, cooperation, and good neighbor practices. This may include information being posted in the front lobby, information provided in the property newsletter, etc.
- Operate with ethical business practices, non-predatory leasing, and good faith practices.
- Take reasonable and prompt action to prevent or reduce disputes or conflicts, either between tenants, management and tenants, or management and any other party involving the CSU community.
- Provide each tenant with a Good Neighbor Program Tenant Education Disclosure Page during the leasing process.
- Provide accurate information and images of the property on websites and marketing materials.
- Make prospective tenants fully aware of any differences between a model unit and the actual property to be occupied.
- Provide clear information on all contractual terms, in particular the length of the lease term and rental rate.
- Provide a summary of, and clear information about, any additional costs not included in the rent.
- Provide clear information about additional requirements a prospective tenant may have to meet for rentals such as a guarantor, credit, or background check.
- Provide each tenant with a copy of their signed lease or access to an electronic copy of their signed lease within three (3) business days of the lease being executed.
- Provide each tenant with a written list or access to an electronic version of the customary fees/fines assessed for damages, repairs, or services charged during the lease or at move out.
- Provide each tenant with procedures on how they should report repair or maintenance issues.
- Refrain from the use of marketing strategies, advertisements, webpage, or social media postings that include excessive alcohol consumption, racial insensitivity, sexually exploitative content, or behavior disruptive to other tenants or neighbors.
- Refrain from promotional materials that include items related to alcohol consumption such as red cups, bottle openers, ping pong balls, shot glasses, alcohol logos, etc.
- Refrain from management or staff providing alcohol at on-site gatherings.
- Actively promote responsible alcohol consumption at on-site and off-site events if sponsored by management (i.e., restaurants, bars).
- Complete a CPTED evaluation OR complete a safety training both conducted by Fort Collins Police Services.
- Provide all staff with visible and legible identification. This may include name tags, uniforms with property logos, etc.
- Compliance with current HUD, ADA, Fair Housing Regulations, and City of Fort Collins Building Codes.
* This is not a full list of standards and criteria for Good Neighbor Program participants. A full list may be requested using the form below.
Students and tenants play an important role in assuring the upkeep of these criteria at participating properties. Tenants may report violations of these standards to the Off-Campus Life Office by emailing concerns to the Property Management Liaison, Stevie Jorgensen, or by using the form below.
Stevie Jorgensen, email@example.com
Want more information on The Good Neighbor Program? Fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible!