DISCLAIMER: Off-Campus Life has tried to provide a basic calculation for monthly costs of on and off-campus living; however, there can be significant differences. Please note that this does not cater itself to any particular situation. Student’s costs may be higher or lower depending on needs and habits. Off-campus living can have many up-front costs that cannot be shown below, such as buying furniture, transportation to campus, parking, utility start-ups and lease signing costs, unforeseeable situations such as a roommate moving out, and more. Also, most leases off campus are 12 months, which means there are about 4 more months in the calendar year to pay for utilities compared to the roughly 8 month residence hall cycle. Unit square footage also needs to be taken into consideration when comparing on vs. off-campus living.
Begin with YOUR living situation, and see what is included in your price per month.
|RESIDENCE HALL||RENT PER PERSON2||UTILITIES3||FOOD6||TOTAL MONTHLY COST|
|Community Style Single Room Rate||$1,030+||Included||$609 - $892||$1,639 - $1,922|
|Community Style Double Room Rate||$986+||Included||$609 - $892||$1,595 - $1,878|
|Suite Style Variation Room Rates||$876-$1,236||Included||$609 - $892||$1,485 - $2,128+|
|APARTMENT COMPLEX||RENT PER PERSON3||UTILITIES4-5||FOOD7||TOTAL MONTHLY COST|
|Ram's Village 1 Bedrm||$1,025||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$1,221.65 - $1,415.35|
|State on Campus 1 Bdrm||$1,059||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$1,255.65 - $1,449.35|
|The Grove 2 Bdrm||$790||Included||$176.65 - $350.35||$966.65 - $1,140.35|
|Ram's Pointe 2 Bdrm||$705||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$901.65 - $1,075.35|
|Ram's Village 2 Bdrm||$705||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$886.65 - $1,080.35|
|State on Campus 2 Bdrm||$690||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$965.65 - $1,159.35|
|The Grove 3 Bdrm||$769||Included||$176.65 - $350.35||$908.65 - $1,080.35|
|Ram's Pointe 3 Bdrm||$615||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$811.65 - $1,015.35|
|Ram's Village 3 Bdrm||$625||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$821.65 - $1,015.35|
|State On Campus 3 Bdrm||$684||$20 - $40||$176.65 - $350.35||$880.65 - $1,074.35|
You can also check out this Living Costs calculator by MyFico.com.
DISCLAIMER: THE FOUR APARTMENT COMPLEXES COMPARED ABOVE SOME OF THE MOST COMMON STUDENT FOCUSED COMPLEXES NEAR CAMPUS. OFF-CAMPUS LIFE DOES NOT ENDORSE NOR DIRECTLY AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPLEXES ABOVE. ALL DATA WAS RETRIEVED DIRECTLY FROM APARTMENT COMPLEXES AND ABOVE AND SOURCES CITED ON THIS PAGE.
6On-Campus food costs per month.
|MEAL PLAN||TOTAL MONTHLY COST|
|Unlimited (up to 12 meals/day)||$892|
7Off-Campus food costs per month
|Averages (Male and Female)||$176.65||$226.30||$279.95||$350.35|
Thrifty: Makes all meals from scratch; makes a list and sticks to it when shopping; on a very tight budget, no junk food.
Low-Cost: Makes most meals from scratch, but buys junk food once in awhile. No microwave meals.
Moderate: Uses convenience foods (i.e., macaroni and cheese) but does not buy very many microwave meals. Buys a substantial amount of junk food.
Liberal: Buys a lot of microwave meals and a lot of junk food.
Information based off June 2019 data. Find this information at: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm
|AMENITY||RESIDENCE HALLS||THE GROVE||STATE ON CAMPUS||RAM'S POINTE||RAM'S VILLAGE|
|In-unit washer and dryer||X||X||X|
|Outdoor fire pits||X||X|
- Specific rent per residence hall can be found on the Housing & Dining Services website and are based on building and room type, then divided by 4 (112 days) to determine an average monthly rent.
- All Residence Hall rooms come with a board plan that includes $150 RamCash, 20 guest meals per semester, and access to six dining centers and two express facilities. For details on room rates that include board plans, please visit http://housing.colostate.edu/rates-application.
- Rent statistics for The Grove, The State, Ram’s Pointe, and Ram’s Village were provided directly from apartment complexes for June 2019.
- Utility rates vary depending on usage by tenants. One-time, start-up fees could reach $20-$100 depending on credit and company. Utilities are included in residence hall room costs and they can vary depending on off-campus housing.
- Utility rates on average are between $20-$40 per person based on statistics acquired from apartment complexes April 2019.
- Cost of food while in residence halls varies depending on meal plan chosen for the semester. Please see the table able for different meal plan costs per month.
- Off Campus food cost information is based off of June 2019 USDA.gov data. Find this information at http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm